1. Get very clear on what you want. Start by asking yourself, “Exactly what is it that I need to receive from this person so that it will assist me in achieving my short term goals?” For example, I want to ask this person to co-host an event, become an affiliate partner, to promote my book or to buy my services, etc.
2. Understand what you’re really worth, and why. Break down the long-term value that you bring to clients and think about the results you generate for your most valued clients. What is your experience, your knowledge and your guidance really worth? Your expertise could make a profound impact on someone’s life—that’s priceless!
3. Identify what you are actually afraid of. Is facing rejection what you might be afraid of? Facing rejection doesn’t make you a failure; yet failing to learn from it most certainly will. The best way to get over the fear of rejection is to face it head on. Like all fears, once you’ve confronted it a few times, it will start to lose its power over you. We all get rejected from time to time—it’s just a part of doing business.
4. Practice asking. Many people are afraid to ask for what they want. So they go without. If you don’t ask—you don’t get! Get in the habit of asking for something every day (even if it’s small) and you’ll be surprised how much more you receive. Do this every day for three weeks and you’ll see your fears around asking diminish significantly.
5. Gain rave reviews and testimonials from your clients. When you have a client who has received great value from working with you, ask them for a testimonial. Ask them what their return was from investing in your product or services. Great testimonials that showcase income-generating results will easily justify your high priced expert fees. It doesn’t matter what you pay for something as long as your return is greater.